Gasoline-powered cars

  • "California will halt sales of new gasoline-powered passenger cars and trucks by 2035, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Wednesday, a move he says will cut greenhouse gas emissions by 35% in the nation’s most populous state” Is this a realistic target, do you feel?

 Initially, I would like to say, yes, this CAN be a realistic goal. Then I stop to really think about it, and I don't know. It sounds like a great goal to combat greenhouse gas emissions through halting the sales of new gasoline-powered cars by 2035, but is that enough time to implement alternative options? Who will be able to afford to drive? Will new transportation infrastructure be built such as high speed railways? I think these are important questions to ask since the time frame is not far away. Expecting to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 35% sounds great, but I'm not sure the logistics align with a realistic target.

Comments

  1. These are great follow up questions that I had not even thought up as I got so caught up in the excitement of this plan being on the table with an actual timeline. Lots to think about here!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment