The Placebo/Nocebo Discussion

 I think the placebo effect is such an interesting topic and I would like to learn more about the effects on the mind and how it is altering the outcome. It fascinates me that the human mind has the power to recreate symptoms that are helpful or harmful. The fact that some patients who took a placebo pill want more pills after the trial ends, even though they know it is a placebo, is a conundrum in itself. We know that the placebo effect is a real outcome, but where else in life do we see the placebo effect in action? One area that comes to mind is religion. Having grown up in the church and "saved" myself from it, I observe the way many humans need something to attach to that gives life purpose and makes sense. Whether religion makes sense, it is the "pill" that we take in order to feel like we have a grip on things and the things we don't are happening for a reason. I have taken many "pills" to try and find those answers that give me peace of mind. I have not found one yet.

Comments

  1. The conundrum about the placebo pill having an effect even while knowing that the pill was not really helping is so bizarre! Our body really is a fascinating thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The power of expectation is formidable. It's really remarkable what we're are capable of!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment