Misophonia

 I had not heard of the word misophonia, but I am familiar with the concept. I have had very sensitive hearing since I was a child. I wear earplugs to concerts, when I turn on the blender, or vacuum. I am easily overstimulated my noise and a lot of people talking. I don't know if these examples are misophonia, but maybe something closer to an accurate example is fingers scraping on a chalkboard or any high pitch sounds makes my whole body squirm and I immediately cover my ears. I think I would yell out if I felt it appropriate, but I usually hold back. I am easily annoyed by repeated sounds as well. When my kids say things over and over and over again, I ask them to stop. I pick up on background noise or repetitive sounds. So maybe I do have some misophonia tendencies. I never knew it was a thing. I just thought I was overly sensitive to sounds.

Comments

  1. Interesting! I think we get stimulated through having a lot of tragic life experiences. We become sensitive and irritable because we've been taken too far and haven't gone back to the normal calm self. I think the discovery isn't fascinating, but maybe the name just sounds super scientific and awesome to the psychiatry and psychology field. Many kids can not tolerate high pitch or extra exertion noises from adults, it makes them also overly stress. Covering the ears actually means it's too much. My oldest daughter has that tendency, and over reactive personalities. I am still learning how to help her heal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment